What to do if you get that dreaded speeding ticket.
Even nudging past the speeding limit can have blue lights flaring behind you, which is why it pays to stick to the speed limit. Even if you are running late to work or just accelerated slightly to make the green light, the consequences of speeding can be severe, no matter what your circumstance. Receiving your first speeding ticket is not only an emotional experience, but it can also be a financial burden. Take a look at how you should handle the situation.
- Pull over safely to the side of the road when a police officer turns on their sirens and lights for you.
- Turn off your engine and keep your hands in plain sight.
- As soon as you become aware that the officer is going to issue you a speeding ticket, remain calm and respectful. Never argue or attempt to persuade him/her to recant the citation.
- Say as little as possible. Anything you do say can be used against you.
- The officer will ask you to sign a paper copy of the ticket.
- Once you sign, the officer will present you with a copy of the ticket for your records. This will include all of the details of your offense, including a preliminary court date for the offense.
- The officer may give you verbal instructions on what you need to do to handle the citation or he may refer you to instructions on the piece of paper.
- After you have safely arrived at your destination, read over the instructions.
- If it is your first speeding ticket, you may be allowed to attend defensive driving school in exchange for the fine.
- If you are unable to attend defensive driving school, you can either pay the fine in full before the court or appear in court to see if you can get the citation dismissed.
- You may need to notify your auto insurance company after being issued the speeding ticket. In many cases, the traffic violation will cause your rates to increase.
Remember that speeding tickets are entirely preventable! For all of your car insurance needs, contact C.V. Mason Insurance Agency in Bristol, Connecticut. We will work with you to ensure you have the right amount of auto insurance coverage, all at the right price to fit your budget.